Friday, February 20, 2015

Encounter: Journal Post 6

This week in lab, we discovered who our culprit was for our DNA fingerprinting experiment. After being able to partake in such an experiment that allows someone to determine whether someone was at the scene of the crime or not was pretty exciting. The knowledge that can be found from a single cell sample is remarkable.
At home I was watching TV when I came across an episode of CSI and was captured by the context of the episode. They off course were investigating a murder and were finding ways to determine who the killer was. Afterward, I began watching a show with my mom on Investigation Discovery and again, they used the same method to determine who the murder was.
I then began to think how spectacular the science community is and how it has grown. So much can be determined by a single cell. Someone accidentally leaves a hair somewhere that a murder occurs and they are immediately a suspect.
While things like this probably don't cross people's minds on a regular basis, being exposed to the methods of DNA Fingerprinting made things like this more evident.

No comments:

Post a Comment