While finding a topic for my paper this week, I found myself searching through many different news articles in search of something interesting enough to write about. As I sit by myself in my room with my computer, I came across an article entitled "Northeastern Researchers Connect Diseases on Their Molecular Similarities." The article spoke of a team of scientists working for Northeastern University who made a mathematical tool that is designed to analyze in the molecular interactions between cells. With this research they found some unusual connections and relationships to between certain diseases.
The team studied almost 300 diseases that have 20 genetic similarities and found that nearly 75 percent of these diseases were related and were located in a specific location of an interactome--a map of molecular interactions between cells. This information and research provides more information on how certain diseases and cells work together. They are able to understand that the interactions and relationships are dependent on their location in the interactome and overall how to approach certain diseases.
As I do more research and as I progress in this class, I am beginning to realize how great the scientific community is and how much it is advancing while many people have no realization of its advancement. Of course we as a society know that we are much smarter and more prepared scientifically and medically to handle certain scenarios than we were a hundred years ago, but I'm not sure everyone understands the magnitude. I learned that I definitely didn't. It is important that I come across articles and knowledge such as this because it will help me be more prepared for my future as a professional.

No comments:
Post a Comment